Taking care of your skin and achieving a stunning makeup look in your 50s can seem challenging, but it doesn't have to be.
The secret lies in choosing the right products and techniques to enhance your natural beauty. In this article,
The classic 50s makeup look
The 1950s were a time of elegance and glamour, with makeup trends that focused on accentuating the eyes, lips, and cheeks.
Stars like Marilyn Monroe and Audrey Hepburn embodied this era's iconic makeup style, characterized by bold red lips, defined eyebrows, and winged eyeliner.
Key elements of 50s makeup
To recreate the 50s makeup look, keep these essential elements in mind:
- Eyebrows: Full and well-defined brows are a must. Use a brow pencil to fill in any sparse areas and shape your brows to frame your face.
- Eyes: Apply a neutral eyeshadow on your eyelids, followed by a winged eyeliner to create a dramatic effect. Finish with volumizing mascara for bold, fluttery lashes.
- Lips: Choose a vibrant red lipstick with blue undertones to complete the classic 50s makeup look.
50s Skin Care
Skin care basics for the 50s
As we age, our skin becomes thinner, drier, and more prone to wrinkles. During your 50s, it's crucial to adopt a skincare routine that focuses on hydration, collagen production, and sun protection.
Look for products that contain hyaluronic acid, retinol, and SPF.
Important ingredients for 50s skin care
- Hyaluronic acid: This powerful ingredient retains moisture and plumps the skin, minimizing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Retinol: A derivative of vitamin A, retinol increases collagen production and improves skin elasticity.
- SPF: Sunscreen is essential for protecting your skin from harmful UV rays and preventing premature aging.
Best Anti-Aging Eye Cream for 50s
The skin around the eyes is delicate and often the first to show signs of aging. In your 50s, invest in a high-quality eye cream that targets fine lines, wrinkles, and dark circles.
We recommend looking for an eye cream that contains ingredients like peptides, vitamin C, and caffeine to help improve skin elasticity and reduce puffiness.
One popular option is the RoC Retinol Correxion Eye Cream, which combines retinol and hyaluronic acid to visibly reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Best Anti-Aging Night Cream for 50s
A nourishing night cream is essential to help your skin repair and rejuvenate while you sleep. The best anti-aging night creams for those in their 50s should contain ingredients like retinol, peptides, and antioxidants to boost collagen production and fight free radicals.
One highly-rated option is the Olay Regenerist Retinol 24 Night Moisturizer, which delivers the benefits of retinol while also providing hydration and minimizing irritation.
Best Anti-Aging Skin Care Products for 50s
Apart from eye creams and night creams, there are several other anti-aging products that can help improve the overall appearance and health of your skin during your 50s. Consider adding the following products to your skincare routine:
- Vitamin C serum: A powerful antioxidant, vitamin C helps to brighten your complexion, reduce hyperpigmentation, and stimulate collagen production.
- Exfoliant: Regular exfoliation helps remove dead skin cells, revealing a smoother and more radiant complexion. Opt for a gentle chemical exfoliant like AHAs (alpha hydroxy acids) or BHAs (beta hydroxy acids) to avoid irritation.
- Face oil: Adding a nourishing face oil to your routine can help lock in moisture and provide additional anti-aging benefits.
50s Makeup Look
Creating the perfect 50s makeup look
To create a flawless 50s makeup look, follow these simple steps:
- Prep your skin: Start by applying a moisturizer and primer to ensure a smooth and even canvas for your makeup.
- Foundation: Choose a lightweight, hydrating foundation that matches your skin tone and offers medium to full coverage. Apply using a makeup sponge or brush for a seamless finish.
- Concealer: Use a creamy, hydrating concealer to cover any dark circles, redness, or blemishes.
- Contour and highlight: Lightly contour your cheekbones, jawline, and nose to add definition. Apply a subtle highlighter to the high points of your face for a natural glow.
- Blush: Apply a soft, rosy blush to the apples of your cheeks for a youthful flush.
- Eyeshadow: Sweep a neutral eyeshadow across your lids and blend a slightly darker shade into the crease for added depth.
- Eyeliner: Create a classic winged eyeliner look with a black liquid or gel liner.
- Mascara: Apply a volumizing mascara to your upper and lower lashes for a wide-eyed effect.
- Brows: Fill in and shape your brows using a brow pencil or powder.
- Lips: Complete your look with a bold red lipstick with blue undertones.
Tips for a flawless 50s makeup look
- Choose makeup products designed for mature skin to ensure a smooth and even application.
- Use a light hand when applying makeup to avoid a heavy, cakey appearance.
- Opt for cream-based products, as they often blend more seamlessly and provide a more natural finish.
- Set your makeup with a lightweight, translucent powder to ensure it stays in place all day.
Makeup Lessons for Over 50s
If you're unsure about which makeup techniques work best for your skin and features, consider taking makeup lessons specifically designed for those over 50.
Many beauty professionals and makeup artists offer one-on-one lessons, group workshops , or even online tutorials that cater to mature skin.
These lessons can help you learn how to enhance your natural beauty, choose the right products, and apply makeup in a way that complements your skin's unique needs.
Best Makeup for Over 50s
Opt for a hydrating, lightweight foundation that provides medium to full coverage. Look for formulas that contain ingredients like hyaluronic acid and peptides to help plump and smooth the skin.
A popular choice is the IT Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC+ Cream, which offers SPF 50 protection and a natural-looking finish.
Cream blushes are ideal for mature skin as they blend seamlessly and offer a natural, dewy flush.
Choose a shade that complements your skin tone, like soft pinks, peaches, or mauves. One highly-rated option is the Fenty Beauty Cheeks Out Freestyle Cream Blush, which comes in a variety of shades and blends effortlessly.
For eyeshadows, opt for neutral, matte shades that enhance your eye color without overpowering your features.
To avoid smudging or creasing, choose a waterproof eyeliner and mascara designed for long-lasting wear.
The Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner and the L'Oréal Paris Voluminous Lash Paradise Waterproof Mascara are both excellent options.
A bold lip color can instantly elevate your makeup look. Choose a long-wearing, hydrating lipstick formula that won't feather or settle into fine lines.
The Maybelline New York Color Sensational Made for All Lipstick in Red For Me is a universally flattering red that's perfect for creating a classic 50s makeup look.
50s Makeup Tips
- Don't be afraid to experiment with color. While neutrals are timeless, adding a pop of color to your eyeshadow, blush, or lipstick can instantly brighten your complexion and add a youthful touch.
- Use an eyelash curler to lift and open up your eyes, making them appear larger and more awake.
- Invest in a good-quality makeup brush set to ensure even, smooth application of your makeup products.
- Practice makes perfect – take the time to practice different makeup techniques and looks to find the ones that suit you best.
Over 50 Skin Care Routine
Gently cleanse your skin both morning and night to remove makeup, dirt, and impurities. Look for a hydrating, non-stripping cleanser suitable for mature skin, like the CeraVe Hydrating Facial Cleanser.
Incorporate a hydrating, alcohol-free toner into your routine to help balance your skin's pH and prepare it for the next steps in your skincare regimen. The Paula's Choice Resist Advanced Replenishing Toner is a popular option for mature skin.
Moisturize your skin both day and night with a product that contains ingredients like hyaluronic acid, ceramides, and peptides to help maintain hydration and support collagen production.
The Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream is a lightweight option that provides long-lasting moisture.
Wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher every day to protect your skin from harmful UV rays and prevent premature aging.
The EltaMD UV Clear Facial Sunscreen SPF 46 is a popular choice for mature skin due to its lightweight, non-greasy formula.
Exfoliate your skin 1-2 times a week with a gentle chemical exfoliant like AHAs or BHAs to remove dead skin cells and reveal a smoother, more radiant complexion.
The Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant is a highly-rated option that helps to unclog pores and improve skin texture without causing irritation.
Taking care of your skin and achieving a stunning makeup look in your 50s can be both enjoyable and rewarding. By adopting a tailored skincare routine and using makeup techniques that enhance your natural beauty, you can embrace your age with confidence and style.
Remember, the key is to choose the right products, prioritize hydration and sun protection, and practice your makeup skills to create a timeless, elegant look.
What is the best foundation for mature skin?
Look for a hydrating, lightweight foundation with medium to full coverage that contains ingredients like hyaluronic acid and peptides to help plump and smooth the skin. The IT Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC+ Cream is a popular option.
How often should I exfoliate my skin in my 50s?
It's generally recommended to exfoliate your skin 1-2 times a week with a gentle chemical exfoliant like AHAs or BHAs. This helps remove dead skin cells and reveals a smoother, more radiant complexion.
Are cream makeup products better for mature skin?
Cream-based makeup products are often recommended for mature skin, as they blend more seamlessly and provide a more natural, dewy finish. They also tend to be more hydrating than powder-based products.
What is the best anti-aging ingredient for mature skin?
Retinol, a derivative of vitamin A, is widely regarded as one of the most effective anti-aging ingredients for mature skin. It increases collagen production, improves skin elasticity, and helps reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
How can I prevent my lipstick from feathering or settling into fine lines?
To prevent lipstick from feathering or settling into fine lines, choose a long-wearing, hydrating lipstick formula, and consider using a lip liner to create a barrier around the edges of your lips. Additionally, applying a lip primer or a small amount of concealer around your lip line can help create a smooth, even base for your lipstick.